Working at Toad&Co
Toad&Co is a great place to work. But don't take our word for it, we've been named a "Best Place to Work" by Outside Magazine five times!
Our headquarters is located in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. We also have a retail store in Freeport, Maine, and a retail location called Lizard Lounge in Portland, Oregon.
Do you think you'd make a great member of our team? If you feel you're qualified for any of the positions listed below, or just want us to know what you've got to offer, please send a resume and letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
There is currently one position open at Toad&Co:
Toad&Co Men's Designer
Position: Men's Designer
Reports To: Design Director
Location: Santa Barbara
The Men’s Designer is a key contributor to the collaborative design process, driving the growth and success of the men’s business by creating relevant, innovative concepts that speak to the active, casual lifestyle of the Toad&Co customer. Must have the skill and passion for creating clothing with a distinctive Toad point of view: relevant yet enduring style balanced with comfort, versatility, function and environmental intelligence. Must possess instincts for trends, pattern, texture and colour, strong knowledge of fabrics, garment construction and be very particular about how clothes fit.
- Work closely with the Design Director to gain insight, perspective, direction and clear understanding of vision, ethos and seasonal and overall business goals.
- Work with Design Director and design team to develop seasonal direction and inspiration, identify fabric needs, product concepts, colour palette, print and yarn dye concepts.
- Create relevant, innovative design concepts Ensure products meet Toad & Co. principles for balancing comfort, versatility, style and environmental intelligence, are of the highest quality and support overall business strategies.
- Design/develop yarn-dyes and prints as appropriate to specific styles.
- Effectively communicate and present these design concepts through discussions and formal line review process.
- Provide style definition through initial tech packs, detailed drawings, BOMs, fabric description, colour, trims, yarn-dyes and print patterns; define product function fit requirements.
- Hand-off each style to Product Development. Thoroughly define and communicate product intent and all details. Provide final review of specification packages before sales sample and bulk production.
- Develop original graphic design concepts for the men’s t-shirt program.
- Attend all men’s fittings and provide clear direction to define and guide fit.
- Work with the Materials Manager/Fabric Development to source and choose fabrics.
- Work closely with the Product Design Manager to align with and follow the seasonal design calendar to ensure deadlines are met and communication between teams is open and clear.
- Create seasonal Merch Maps and provide information as requested to create seasonal workbooks and provide m’s design perspective to copywriters and PR as needed.
- Design with full awareness of price targets and margin goals. Work with development and production to source appropriately and to find design solutions to achieve cost, price point and margin goals.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends, color, fabrics, trims, garment construction, washes, finishes, and relevant garment technology.
- Participate in design team and cross-functional meetings including seasonal kick offs, brainstorming, line planning, 2D & 3Ds, sales meetings, cross-departmental planning and team-building sessions.
- Communicate effectively with vendors and partners to support relationships and achieve design and environmental goals.
- Travel to vendors/factories as needed, to review seasonal development progress, discover new product concepts and maintain good relationships.
- Travel for inspiration and market research, trade shows, conferences to expand mind, experience culture, trends and monitor relevant competition.
- Maintain awareness of design and company KPIs and work to fully support.
- Ensure that sustainability issues/opportunities are top of mind and that your work supports continuous improvement for the overall sustainability of products and how we operate everyday.
- Support and contribute to the Toad&Co culture of engagement, optimism, continuous learning, curiosity, fun, team building and giving back to our communities.
- College degree in Apparel Design.
- 5 plus years of relevant design experience.
- Excellent proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and Excel.
- Proficiency in Generation Digital, Photoshop, InDesign and other design software preferred.
- Must be able to work in open office environment, have a sense of humor and like dogs.