Horny Toad loves weekend getaways, and we know you do too… so every month from March until August we’re picking a great town and giving you the insider’s scoop on where to eat, drink and play. For the fourth month we’re taking you to historical Charleston, SC.
A key ingredient to a successful weekend getaway is packing well. Enter our Weekend Flats Instagram contest and consider yourself outfitted. All you need to do is hashtag a great photo you’ve taken of one of your favorite weekend destinations with #HTlovesweekends @hornytoadactivewear until 6/30/13. At end of June we’ll select the photo we like best and the winner will get a $150 Horny Toad gift card!
Without further ado – and with very special thanks to Carolina Heartstrings who provided us with much of this great information on what to do and where to go in Charleston, here’s the scoop.
1. Our Conversion Dress (pictured above in Dolphin) is exactly what you want for a weekend in Charleston. The graceful V-neck is topped by convertible straps, meaning it can be worn many different ways, plus it’s made with our eco-friendly blend of Tencel®, organic cotton and spandex, whose supple superpowers are designed to triumph over the confines of a cramped suitcase.
2. Have drinks at The Cocktail Club! It’s a “refined atmosphere on upper King Street dedicated to the art of the craft cocktail.” Check out their extensive selection of house-made infusions, rare spirits and farm-to-shaker beverages featuring fresh squeezed juices and modern ingredients. Their rooftop terrace even has a custom garden that provides the fresh garnishes for their drinks.
3. For great local music at a fun venue go to Awedendaw on the Green.
4. If it rains (or if you’re just hankering for an awesome bowling alley experience), head to The Alley for food, bowling, skee ball and every old-school video game imaginable.
5. Our men’s Honcho Shirt was constructed for a weekend in the South Carolina’s oldest city: Thanks to 100% organic cotton chambray and thoughtful details, its relaxed good looks grant it passage to restaurants, museums and dive bars alike, and its feather weight means its primed for hot and humid weather.
6. For a glimpse of Charleston (and our nation’s) history, catch a ferry over to Ft. Sumter where the first shots of the Civil War were fired.
7. Have dinner at SNOB. The restaurant’s erroneous acronym stands for Slightly North of Broad and its casual and intimate setting is the perfect backdrop to sample incredibly fresh ingredients supplied by organic farmers on nearby Wadmalaw Island. Try the local shrimp and grits made from heirloom corn grown and milled nearby.
8. Visit our friends at Half Moon Outfitters! Not only do they sell Horny Toad, but they happen to be some of the most community-minded, friendly and knowledgable outdoor retailers in all the land. We recommend them for renting stuff like paddle boards and other gear too big to pack as well as giving you the scoop on where to go for your outdoor adventures.
9. Don’t forget to pack our women’s Swept Away Jacket. Made of elegant linen and earthy cotton, its casual, classic styling is both feminine and street-wise. You’ll appreciate the intelligent pocket placement for purse-free exploration of Charleston.
10. It might be hot as asphalt in August while you’re there, but you can keep your cool with our men’s Easystreet Short. Made from debonair linen and hard-working cotton, it manages moisture, wears like iron and has the kind of clean design that give it social versatility as well as amazing comfort.