Working at Toad&Co
Toad&Co is a great place to work. But don't take our word for it, we've been named a "Best Place to Work" by Outside Magazine seven times!
Our headquarters is located in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. We also have a retail store in Freeport, Maine, and a retail location called Lizard Lounge in Portland, Oregon.
Do you think you'd make a great member of our team? If you feel you're qualified for any of the positions listed below, or just want us to know what you've got to offer, please send a resume and letter to email@example.com
There are currently multiple positions open at Toad&Co:
Toad&Co VP of Merchandising and Product Design
Toad&Co Women's Designer
Toad&Co Product Developer
Toad&Co Social Media Associate
Toad&Co Accounting Intern (Part–Time)
Position:Toad&Co VP of Merchandising and Product Design
Department: Product Design
Reports To: CEO
Location: Santa Barbara
The Director of Merchandising and Design is the key liaison between the Design, Product Development, Production, Sales and Brand teams working to provide sales growth and margin optimization while ensuring distinctive, brand-right assortments. This position reports to the CEO and manages a team of direct reports.
- Merchandising Strategy & Product Design
- This role will require a thoughtful balance of innovation art and marketplace science, inspiration and analysis.
- Develop strategic merchandising initiatives in conjunction with company business and financial goals.
- Leverage customer knowledge and sales channel strategies for design, category and assortment optimization.
- Develop seasonal line plans to provide clear strategic direction at the beginning of each season on size of line, color, print, fabric, pricing, end use, style and SKU count by class.
- Lead seasonal merchandising & product innovation initiatives, including focused assortments for key accounts.
- Collaborate with Design & Product to drive assortment to hit sustainability goals
- Partner with Product Development to establish & manage master line development calendar & key milestones.
- Lead projections process for finished goods, working to meet sales plans and margin targets.
- Collaborate with sales channel leadership to establish inventory purchase parameters and sales optimization.
- Partner with Sales to create selling tools and catalogs for each season.
- Lead product presentations at Go-To-Market meetings.
- Communicate changes cross-functionally while working within production timeline, liaising with Production.
- Present quarterly and seasonal hindsight (sell in and sell through) and quarterly recaps to cross-functional teams.
- Drive sales and bookings analyses seasonally.
- Develop deep knowledge of customer, initiate and share learning with business partners
- Partner with CEO to drive plans for new category opportunities.
- Create and lead development of any special product related projects such as brand collaborations, SMUs, etc.
- Travel to key markets and tradeshows to understand competitive marketplace and customers’ needs.
- Report quarterly on key trends and brand relevance.
- Evolve product point of view and vision as necessary over time to remain appropriately innovative and relevant.
- Lead seasonal and strategic competitive pricing/shopping analysis and present relevant conclusions.
- As needed, travel to key accounts and new business development opportunities to present product line.
- Develop and manage design and merchandising teams and support their career development
- Establish strong relationships with cross functional partners and work collaboratively to achieve financial targets
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of management level design and/or merchandising experience
- Ability to manage and lead a team
- Deep understanding of the Outdoor marketplace, and the Toad&Co brand and culture
- Elevated taste level; ability to translate creative vision into commercial needs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to maintain effective business partner relationships
- An understanding of global market and the ability to grasp the cultural and commercial nuances
- Ability to interact with multiple departments and with employees at all levels
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set priorities; learn on the fly and foster cohesion
- Exhibits a solutions-based, problem solving approach
- Highly analytical
- Collaborative with strong influencing skills
Position:Toad&Co Women's Designer
Reports To: Director of Design/Senior Designer
Location: Santa Barbara
The Women’s Designer is a key contributor to the collaborative design team creating relevant, innovative concepts that speak to the active, casual lifestyle of the Toad&Co customer. Brings skill and passion for creating clothing with a distinctive Toad point of view: relevant yet enduring style balanced with comfort, versatility, function and environmental intelligence. Brings understanding of the outdoor industry, experience working with technical fabrics, outerwear and performance layers. Bring instincts for trends, innovation, pattern, texture and colour. Has strong knowledge of fabrics and issues related to sustainability, is knowledgeable about construction, very particular about how clothes fit, and understands highest quality.
- Work with Design Director, Design Manager and design team to develop seasonal direction and inspiration, identify fabric needs, product concepts, color palette, print and yarn dye concepts.
- Create relevant, innovative design concepts. Ensure products meet Toad&Co principles for balancing comfort, versatility, style and environmental intelligence, are of the highest quality and support overall business strategies.
- Effectively communicate and present design concepts through reviews and formal line presentations.
- Provide style definition creating tech packs, detailed drawings, BOMs, fabric details, colour, trims, yarn-dyes and print patterns; define product function fit requirements.
- Design with full awareness of price targets and margin goals. Work with product development and production to source appropriately and to find design solutions to achieve cost, price point and margin goals.
- Maintain knowledge of current trends, colour, fabrics, trims, garment construction, washes, finishes, and relevant garment technology.
- Communicate effectively with vendors and agents to support relationships and achieve design and environmental goals.
- Travel to vendors/factories as needed, to review seasonal development progress, discover new product concepts and maintain good relationships.
- Travel for inspiration and market research, trade shows, conferences to expand mind, experience culture, trends and monitor relevant competition.
- Ensure that sustainability issues are top of mind and support continuous improvement for the overall sustainability of products and day–to–day business.
- Support and contribute to the toad&co culture of engagement, optimism, continuous learning, curiosity, fun, team building and giving back to our communities.
- College degree in Apparel Design.
- 5+ years of relevant design experience.
- Excellent proficiency in Adobe Illustrator and Excel.
- Proficiency in Generation Digital, Photoshop, InDesign and other design software preferred.
- Knowledge of patterns and garment construction.
- Understand textile construction, finishes and related performance.
- Must be detail–oriented, committed to deadlines and able to organize and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work in open office environment, have a sense of humor and like dogs.
- Ability to use independent judgement in performing duties of the position.
- Good people and management skills.
- Ability to travel and work within varied business hours and weekends, especially during seasonal booking deadlines, key meetings and industry shows.
- High degree of integrity.
Position:Toad&Co Product Developer
Reports To: Manager of Product Development
Location: Santa Barbara
The Product Developer manages the day-to-day deliverables related to development from design hand-off through production. This position will work directly with internal functions: Product, Design, and external vendors to execute to the corporate pipeline calendar. Successful candidate will execute on a process that insures accuracy and efficiency.
- Collaborate with design team to execute styles from initial concept to production.
- Collaborate with design and production teams to source and develop garment trims.
- Manage fit sessions with fit models. Maintain Toad&Co fit blocks, grade rules, and fit consistency across all products. Revise factory patterns as needed to execute fit needs.
- Maintain and communicate accurate proto specification packages, including illustrations and technical sketches, fabric and trims, construction details, patterns, bill of materials, and measurement charts.
- Track all fit samples associated with the product to ensure their movement through the product development process in coordination with the development calendar.
- Work with design and product teams to achieve desired costing and hit stated price point and margin goals while achieving design goals.
- Communicate effectively with factories as their primary contact on the development and confirmation of all styles.
- Review QC issues with Production and factories to evaluate and clarify issues and suggest improvements.
- Travel to factories as needed to review seasonal development progress.
- Understanding of apparel product process from initial tech pack to top of production approval for knits & wovens.
- Knowledge and understanding of garment manufacturing processes.
- 3-5 years of experience in a broad range of sportswear and technical knit and woven garments preferred.
- Patternmaking experience preferred.
- Excellent attention to detail with strong follow through. Must be able to organize and prioritize multiple projects in a fast paced environment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong computer skills and the ability to obtain information from various systems.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Adobe Illustrator.
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and verbal form with a diverse audience.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines.
- Ability and desire to travel.
Position:Toad&Co Social Media Associate
Department: Brand & Marketing
Reports To: Director , Brand & Marketing
Location: Santa Barbara
Toad&Co is seeking a Social Media Associate in Santa Barbara, CA. Compelling, shareable content is imperative in today’s digital marketplace and something that Toad&Co fans are eager to explore. The person filling this position will be a key player in keeping our existing community engaged while also recruiting new community members. By collaborating with partner companies, internet influencers and running contest based promotions, the community should grow exponentially with your oversights.
- Write, create and post content to social media networks
- Manage the publishing calendar, messaging, sourcing or creating the visual images for these posts, aligning to the content marketing strategy
- Monitor topics, threads and discussions of company, product and brand on news, Internet and social media
- Measure and report activity and brand presence with the rest of the marketing team
- Propose topics, themes, contests, formats and content that will engage audiences on social media and generate leads
- Serve as in-house expert and resource for all things social media #socialbutterfly
- Curate relevant content to reach audiences most likely to engage with our brand
- Implement best practices for social listening, uploading, tagging, reporting and optimization of channels
- Grow engagement, reach and impact through proactive campaigns and outreach to partner companies and internet influencers
- Track competition activity
- Work closely with most awesome Brand & Marketing team in the known universe
- 1-3 Years of relevant marketing experience
- Hands-on experience with online communities and social networking sites, including Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter account management
- Experience with various blog platforms (Wordpress preferred) and Photoshop
- Superior writing and copy editing skills including both spelling and grammar
- Undergraduate degree required
- Effective time and project management skills, with ability to organize and prioritize efficiently
Position:Toad&Co Accounting Intern (Part-Time)
Reports To: Controller
Location: Santa Barbara
Toad&Co is looking for a part–time Accounting Intern to perform a variety of accounting and bookkeeping tasks. Accounting Intern responsibilities include keeping financial records updated, run accounting software programs (NetSuite) to process business transactions, like accounts payable and receivable, expense vouchers and receipts, processing and monitoring incoming payments.
- Provide accounting and clerical support to the accounting department
- Type accurately, prepare and maintain accounting documents and records
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Reconcile accounts in a timely manner
- Daily enter key data of financial transactions in database
- Process accounts and incoming payments.
- Reconcile the accounts receivable ledger to ensure that all payments are accounted for and properly posted.
- Facilitate payment of invoices due by sending reminders and contacting customers.
- More responsibilities will be given if the candidate exceeds expectation.
- Familiarity with bookkeeping and basic accounting procedures
- Competency in MS Office and accounting software
- Hands-on experience with spreadsheets
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Aptitude for numbers
- Ability to perform filing and record keeping tasks
- Well organized
- High school degree
- Associate’s degree or relevant certification is a plus