Beyond the Chip: 10 Recipes Starring Guacamole
"You can't make everyone happy, you're not an avocado." -Unknown
You may not know that September 16 is National Guacamole Day (or maybe you're well-versed in celebrations of greatness), but we'll take any day of the year to celebrate this magical food. For us, guac is the perfect balance of flavors: can't-go-wrong avocados, a little zesty citrus, a strong kick of spice (you gotta), a bit of onion, and the herbiness of cilantro to balance it out (if you're that kind of person...). However you make your guacamole, we think it deserves to be seen as way more than a chip topper. Give it the attention it deserves with these 10 recipes (spoiler: pair it with potatoes, seafood, meat, cheese... you really can't go wrong):
- Hash browns with guacamole and poached eggs breakfast - Why wait for dinner when you can make guac the star of the show first thing in the morning?
- Guacamole burger - Start with your favorite burger recipe, add guacamole, and BOOM. Instantly upgraded. Bacon, cheese, and onions, or keep it simple and let the guac shine. Also great on a veggie patty or black bean burger.
- Guac stuffed sweet potatoes - Easy, vegan, and oh-so-delicious.
- Ahi poke guacamole - Mix ahi tuna with soy sauce, sesame oil, and mirin or ponzu sauce. Layer ahi tuna over guacamole in a small serving dish. Top with crumbled wonton, sesame seeds, chili flakes or other toppings that suit ya. Instant impressive appetizer for the win.
- Guacamole deviled eggs - Guaranteed to make a fan out of even the biggest deviled eggs skeptics.
- Guacamole chicken wraps - A great reuse for leftover chicken or easy lunch with rotisserie chicken. Fill to your liking– we recommend salsa or tomatoes and cheese.
- Scallops with guacamole - Appears exceptionally fancy, but in reality this is as easy as it gets.
- Guacamole grilled cheese - Have we ever mentioned we're kind of obsessed with grilled cheese sandos? You can add guacamole to any combination of grilled cheese ingredients (and trust us, they're infinite) and you'll find yourself a winner.
- Sriracha guac dogs - A crowd pleaser, we promise.
- Guacamole french fries - You read that right. A marriage of two dream-foods.
So there you have it. Give guac the spotlight it deserves this National Guacamole Day, and every day (bonus points for pairing with one of our favorite margarita recipes).