Ice cream is a treat so loved by all that National Ice Cream Day has been a holiday (third Sunday of July - mark those calendars) for nearly 40 years. Whether it’s plain old vanilla or the ever so edgy rocky road, we’re big fans of this sweet treat. In honor of all its goodness, we’ve put together a few of our favorite homemade ice cream recipes from our kitchen to yours.
While a good ice cream base is not to be taken lightly, the ingredients are simple: heavy cream, milk, sugar, eggs, and salt. To really nail the science behind it, we recommend following a detailed recipe like this one. Once you’re ready to mix it up, here are some ideas for ya.
- Meyer Lemon Cream - Hit your local farmer’s market and pick up some of these flavor-packed lemons. Grate the zest into your base and squeeze just a bit of juice for a perfectly tangy treat.
- Oatmeal Cookie Cream - Everything you love about oatmeal cookie dough, but coated in a base of ice cream. Take your favorite dough recipe (preferably something with cinnamon) and mix it all together.
- Coffee Cream - Take your favorite coffee beans, grind them up to about medium-fineness, and mix them into your ice cream base. Who says you can't have ice cream for breakfast?
- Mint Chip Cream - Bonus points if you get mint leaves straight from your garden, but premade mint syrup also works for this earthy tasting treat.
- Peanut Butter Honey Cream - This one's for Team Super Sweet Tooth(you know who you are). Mix your base up with some peanut butter (chunky lovers, who's with us?) and local honey. Better than a candy bar, we promise.