April 07, 2017
The En Fuego Grilled Cheese
For those unfamiliar with 5th Annual Toad&C0 Grilled Cheese Smackdown, it's the biggest cooking competition west of Paris and it happens at Toad HQ. With competitors prepping and practicing grilled cheese creations for weeks before the competition, it's the finest iteration of bread and cheese in the known universe. This year the Santa Barbara Fire Department let the fire burn with their sandwich, aptly named En Fuego! A combination of spicy peppers, two types of cheese, and tequila-buttered sourdough (yes, tequila butter), the only thing hotter than the sandwich was the firefighters themselves! Spice things up but proceed with caution - this delicious combination of bread, cheese, and peppers is highly flammable!
The En Fuego by Santa Barbara Fire DepartmentIngredients: Tequila-lime-cilantro butter Sourdough bread (fresh made is best) Homemade guacamole Fire roasted pasilla chiles, red peppers and green jalapeño peppers Queso fresco Mexican cheese blend Jalapeño mustard
- Combine 1 shot of tequila, 1 stick of melted butter, and finely diced cilantro. Whisk together and let sit until butter firms up.
- Liberally apply butter to two pieces of sourdough bread.
- On the non-buttered side of bread, evenly apply a moderate amount of jalapeno mustard
- On top of the jalapeno mustard, liberally apply homemade guacamole.
- Press fire roasted pasilla peppers and jalapenos into the guacamole.
- Add queso fresco and mexican cheese blend to the top of the guacamole.
- Gently sandwich two pieces of bread together.
- Grill until cheese is melted and bread is crispy. Ole!