Island time, any time. Piña Coladas are a grown up, boozy, frothy smoothie that pack a piña punch. And while they’re best enjoyed beachside, we’ll happily kick back poolside, deck-side or inside with one. Blend it, shake it, add a fake umbrella to it – just make sure you take this excuse to enjoy National Piña Colada Day.
Fun fact: the Piña Colada was invented in the 1950s in Puerto Rico (the inventor is still contested) and is the country’s national drink.
Here’s 10 Piña Pick Me Ups:
- The Classic - Two ounces of white rum, a glob of coconut cream, a healthy splash of pineapple juice, and a squeeze of lime. Blend or shake with ice, depending on laziness levels, then pour into a chilled glass. Marvel at frothy mustache.
- Fresh Pineapple – Leave the bottled pineapple juice on the shelf and make your own! Slice up a pineapple and blend until liquefied. Add rum, coconut cream, ice, and freshly squeezed lime juice. Let the blender do the rest.
- Citrus Twist – Crank up the citrus and add a squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice instead of lime juice.
- Boozy Berries – Want some extra flavor? Try blending in fresh strawberries or blueberries.
- Minty Fresh – Chop up fresh mint and blend it with classic piña ingredients for a refreshingly subtle secret ingredient.
- Not-A-Colada – Zero-proof the classic by leaving the rum out entirely. Or try a more complex concoction by replacing rum with cane syrup, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and salt. The flavors mimic the complexities of rum without the alcohol. Recipe inspired by EpiCurious.
- Pineapple Free – We know pineapple isn’t everyone’s thing. Make a mango colada by swapping out the fruit. Better yet, use frozen mango or mango juice to avoid the mess!
- Piña-Rita – If rum isn’t a delight, tequila might hit right. Use coconut tequila and pineapple slices to make a margarita-style colada. Recipe inspired by Real House Moms.
- Piña Colada Sangria – For anyone not feeling the froth: mix Moscato wine with pineapple juice, fresh lime, and coconut rum. Recipe inspired by Simple Joy.
- Colada Kabobs – Make boozy bites by soaking sliced pineapple in rum overnight. Use a toothpick to dip slices into a mixture of coconut cream, heavy cream, and powdered sugar. Sprinkle roasted coconut flakes on top and spear a maraschino cherry on the end. Recipe inspired by Delish.
As always, enjoy your bevvy responsibly.